Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
These PDF documents can be helpful for journal members and editors.
Journal members may not carry food openly through the building. Please put all food and food containers out of sight in your bag. You can even grab a University Record to cover your food.
Finding Library Materials
Use your Journal Carrel (Article) Account when requesting material from the Law Library Catalog or through the Law Library Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system.
(Example: MBELR McCarthy would be the login.)
- Log in to the Law Library Catalog to request Law Library books be delivered to a Carrel (and/or have pages scanned).
- If the item you need is in closed reserve and cannot be requested through the catalog, you can take the item from reserve yourself for a short time using your personal account--just make sure you return the item on time!
- Log in to the U-M Library Catalog to use "Get This" and have books in the U-M Library catalog pulled from other campus libraries and held for you to pick up at the Hatcher Graduate Library. The Kresge Business Library Catalog only has electronic resources, some of which can be used by Law Students.
- Log in to the Law Library's Interlibrary Loan to obtain books and articles not available on the U of M campus.
- For more information about Finding and Retrieving Materials on Campus, including books, articles, and newspapers, check out this research guide: http://libguides.law.umich.edu/libraries
Setting Up Library Accounts and Journal Carrels
The Circulation Desk will set up Library Accounts (including ILL) and Journal Carrels in our system Monday-Friday between 8am and 5pm. Please allow two business days to set up your account. You will need a library account to use ILL, Request Items or check out books.
To set up an account and carrel, Article Editors must:
- Decide which carrel you will use for each article. We do not choose for you.
- Submit an online Carrel Application form.
- Be sure to include the email address of the editor in charge of library notices. We will send emails to this address regarding your library accounts.
- For any carrel-related questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To request to have a carrel cleared, you should also use the same Carrel Application form. You can note the carrels to clear in the instructions box at the bottom.
Please remember to:
- Check books out to the assigned Article carrel at the Information Desk on Sub-1.
- Keep checked out books in the assigned Article carrel. Law Library books cannot leave the building (this also includes interlibrary loan books).
- Return unbound (soft-backed) journals to be shelved. These do not have barcodes and cannot be checked out. We can scan an article on your behalf.
Call us at 734-764-9324
Text us at 734-329-5606
Tweet @ us!
Email us at email@example.com. Emails are answered by Librarians during standard business hours, Monday-Friday. Patrons may expect a response within 1-2 business days for most emails.
Consult with us. Schedule an appointment to meet with a Reference Librarian.
Visit us at the Information Desk on Sub-1 for immediate in-person assistance. Open 8 am - midnight, Sunday-Thursday, and 8am - 10pm, Friday-Saturday*
*Excluding University holidays and semester breaks--check library hours for more information. The Building and library are available to law school community ONLY after 6 pm, and are closed to all but law school community on home football Saturdays.
Librarians are available for research consultations Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm (and until 7pm Mon-Wed). Sunday appointments may also be available during the school year.
Use our Online Scheduler to set up an appointment.
Call the Plant Operations Call Center: 734-647-2059
IT Resources for Journal Editors