Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Click here to access the West Academic Study Aids subscription. Study aids series include Hornbooks, nutshells, Gilbert's, Black Letter Law Outlines, and more!
Note: please use a browser other than Safari to access this resource.
West Academic Study Aids Account
All authorized users* have the opportunity to create an account (for free) which allows them to take notes, highlight, save favorites, download titles for offline access, and more. Here are the steps:
- Go to https://subscription.westacademic.com/
- Click "Create an Account" in the upper right-hand corner, and follow the prompts using your umich email address
- Wait for an email that says your account has been approved (it should only take a few minutes for students, but may take 1-2 hours for faculty/staff accounts)
- Log into your new account on West Study Aids to access all the additional features!
If you have trouble signing up for an account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. *Authorized users include Michigan Law students, faculty, and staff.
To create a West Study Aids account, users must be on the Law School's network, i.e. either physically located in the Law School Building or on the Law School's VPN. Follow the link below to download and install the law school VPN on your personal computer.
Remote Access to the Law School Network
The Cisco VPN client allows you to access the Law School's network from off campus. It is used for such services as remote desktop, activating university software such as Windows and Office, and accessing law library catalogs from off campus.
Read Nutshells, Hornbooks, Gilbert's, and More...Offline!
West Study Aids are now available for offline reading through the West Academic Library app.
Available for iOS and Android
- Notes and highlights automatically sync between the app and the online reader.
- You can select up to 30 books for offline viewing at one time.
- Download the West Academic Library app for free in the Apple App or Google Play Store
To read Study Aids Subscription titles offline, follow these steps:
- Use your browser to sign in to your West Academic account (to create an account see instructions on this page).
- Open a book and click the Available Offline checkbox.
- Sign in to the app with your West Academic username and password. Books you selected for offline viewing appear in the app.
West Academic Audiobooks
- To access audiobooks on West Academic, please create an account and use the West Academic Library app.