Skip to main content

Law School Home

Law Library Services for Journals: Library Services for Journals


These PDF documents can be helpful for journal members and editors. 

Food Policy

Journal members may not carry food openly through the building. Please put all food and food containers out of sight in your bag. You can even grab a University Record to cover your food.

Finding Library Materials

Use your Journal Carrel (Article) Account when requesting material from the Law Library Catalog or through the Law Library Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system.

(Example: MBELR McCarthy would be the login.)

  • Log in to the Law Library Catalog to request Law Library books be delivered to a Carrel (and/or have pages scanned).
    • If the item you need is in closed reserve and cannot be requested through the catalog, you can take the item from reserve yourself for a short time using your personal account--just make sure you return the item on time!
  • Log in to the U-M Library Catalog to use "Get This" and have books in the U-M Library catalog pulled from other campus libraries and held for you to pick up at the Hatcher Graduate Library.  The Kresge Business Library Catalog only has electronic resources, some of which can be used by Law Students.
  • Log in to the Law Library's Interlibrary Loan to obtain books and articles not available on the U of M campus.

  • For more information about Finding and Retrieving Materials on Campus, including books, articles, and newspapers, check out this research guide:

Interlibrary Loan decision tree

Setting Up Library Accounts and Journal Carrels

The Circulation Desk will set up Library Accounts (including ILL) and Journal Carrels in our system Monday-Friday between 8am and 5pm. Please allow two business days to set up your account. You will need a library account to use ILL, Request Items or check out books. 

To set up an account and carrel, Article Editors must:

  • Decide which carrel you will use for each article. We do not choose for you. 
  • Submit an online Carrel Application form.
  • Be sure to include the email address of the editor in charge of library notices. We will send emails to this address regarding your library accounts.
  • For any carrel-related questions, email

To request to have a carrel cleared, you should also use the same Carrel Application form. You can note the carrels to clear in the instructions box at the bottom.

Please remember to:

  • Check books out to the assigned Article carrel at the Circulation Desk on Sub-2.
  • Keep checked out books in the assigned Article carrel. Law Library books cannot leave the building (this also includes interlibrary loan books).
  • Return unbound (soft-backed) journals to be shelved. These do not have barcodes and cannot be checked out. We can scan an article on your behalf.

Need Help?

  Call us at 734-764-9324

text message icon Text us at 734-329-5606

twitter bird icon Tweet @ us!

  Email us at Emails are answered by Librarians between 8AM and 6PM, Monday-Friday

  Consult with us. Schedule an appointment to meet with a Reference Librarian.

  Visit us at the Reference Desk on Sub-1 for immediate in-person assistance. From 8 AM to midnight, 7 days a week.*

*Excluding University holidays and semester breaks--check library hours during these times.

Research Consultations

Librarians are available for research consultations Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm (and until 7pm Mon-Wed). Sunday appointments may also be available during the school year.

Use our Online Scheduler to set up an appointment.

Computer Problems?

Stop by 331 Legal Research to get hands on help (M-F, 8a - 4:30p);

Make an appointment to meet with IT staff by emailing:

Or, submit a work request at:

Facilities Problems?

Call the Plant Operations Call Center from your office phone: 7-2059

IT Resources for Journal Editors

Refer to the Journal Resources Page for helpful information about the following: